|Number of crates||16|
|Previous level||The Great Gate|
Are you an Indiana Jones or a simple player? Take your chance, survive the boulders and run to the level end!
Throughout the course of the level, Crash must run away from several large spherical boulders. If he is too slow, he will be crushed. Each boulder starts rolling from the top of a bridge-like tunnel. It is stopped either by smashing into the wall of the next tunnel along the way or by plunging down a hole. There are no enemies in this level apart from the boulder. However, there are several wooden obstacles along the way which will slow Crash down if he runs into them.
The level is extremely linear; however, the camera is pointing towards Crash's front-side throughout. Players must run toward the screen, an unusual departure from the first three levels. This seems to be acknowledged by Naughty Dog, as players are pointed in this new direction at the start of the level by an arrow made of Wumpa Fruit. The camera angle means that players can not see what obstacles lay ahead of them until the last second, giving them little time to react. Following Wumpa Fruit will make sure Crash avoids the wooden obstacles however.
If all 16 crates are broken and the level is completed without dying, the player will be awarded a clear gem. Crates cannot be smashed by the boulder, as it bounces over them.
Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, X, Circle, Square, X, X,
X, Circle, Circle, Triangle, Triangle, X, X, X,
Circle, X, Square, Triangle, X, Circle, Square, Circle.
- The premise of this level mirrors an iconic scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark, in which Indiana Jones runs from a pursuing boulder.
- This is the first level in the series where the player must escape from a dangerous hazard that is chasing them. The format has been used several times in later games:
- In Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back with giant snowballs and giant polar bears.
- A Triceratops in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped.
- Avalanches, tsunamis, and dragons in stages in Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- A giant bipedal polar bear and Mega-Mix in Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure.
- Rusty Walrus, Natives, ant drills, rising toxic waste, and a school bus tied to Cortex's airship in Crash Twinsanity.
- A giant fruit in Crash Tag Team Racing, at Happy Ever Faster.
- A large spiked pillar in Crash: Mind Over Mutant.