|Number of crates||24|
|Previous level||Jaws of Darkness|
|Next level||Dr. Nitrus Brio|
Castle Machinery (きかいかは すすむ lit. Mechanization is Proceeding in Japanese) is the twenty-seventh level (including boss fights) and is the tenth level of the third island in Crash Bandicoot. It is right before the boss fight against Doctor Nitrus Brio. If the player has obtained the green gem, a secret platform appears right next to where the level begins, taking Crash up to a secret area that has 27 extra lives, preparing him for the forthcoming challenges. There is then another platform there that takes Crash to the end of the level. Oddly, this is the only level in the game with a secret gem route with crates only in the main route. In fact, taking the full gem route will cause the player to miss all the crates in this level. It is the last factory type of level in the game. The Tawna bonus round in the previous level, Jaws of Darkness, saves at this level.
Types of crates
- Aku Aku Crate
- Basic Crate
- Bounce Crate
- Checkpoint Crate
- Crash Crate
- ? Crate (the only ones are Crash crates previously broken)
- Aku Aku Crates: 2
- TNT Crates: None.
- Other Crates: 22
- Tawna Bonus Round Crates: None. (NTSC-US) 9 (NTSC-J)
- Brio Bonus Round Crates: None.
- Cortex Bonus Round Crates: None.
This corresponds to a save file at this level (88%, 2 keys, 20 gems).
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- As you've advanced here properly, I'll teach you the way to defeat Brio. The medicines thrown by Brio are his evil souls. Jump to defeat them.
- Out of all the levels in the game, this one has the most lives that are not in any crates.
- Castle Machinery was among the last levels in the game to be created for the game (along with the long Tawna bonus round and the cutscenes) and it doesn't exist in the prototype build. This is contrary to every other power plant level in the game, which were among the first levels to be created.
- On the PAL version of the game, Crash doesnt say "Whoa!" when he gets killed.