|Level Number||3 (Warp Room 1)|
|Number of crates||74 (11 in bonus, 40 on Blue Gem route)|
|Gem type||Power Crystal, Clear Gem (x2)|
|Enemies||Venus Fly Traps,Pirhanas|
|Previous level||Snow Go|
|Next level||The Pits|
Hang Eight is the third level in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. It reprises the "stream" level archetype from the original Crash Bandicoot, where Crash must travel up a stream and avoid falling in the water. A new element is added to the level where Crash must ride around in a jet boat and avoid hazards, which would include water mines, whirlpools, Piranhas, Venus Fly Traps, and falling in the water.
The level takes place in a river deep in the jungle. This and the levels Air Crash and Plant Food are based on the levels Upstream and Up the Creek from the first Crash Bandicoot game. Crash will be exploring a river filled with monstrous Venus Fly Traps and Piranhas jumping out of the water. The meandering path he traverses is made up of ancient tribal stones, suggesting that the path may have been created by a native tribe long ago. While progressing through the level, Crash must avoid jumping in the water as that will cost him a life. In addition, there will be moving platforms and hippos that require Crash to time his jumps. The hippos will not cause any damage to Crash, but they will immerse themselves in the water a few seconds after Crash jumps on their back, only to resurface a few seconds later.
The main feature in this level is the new jet-boat. Crash must ride the jet-boat over ramps and fences while avoiding a number of objects along the way. The main obstacle he must worry about are the water mines floating in the water. Crashing into one of these mines may cause him to lose his Aku Aku mask or even a life. He must also watch out for whirlpools lining the water, as they will suck him up if he is not careful of them. At one point in the level, if the player has a blue gem from Turtle Woods, they can take a secret path that contains more crates. The other clear gem is obtainable by activating the timer, that automatically starts just before Crash makes it to the first jet, and reaching the end of the level before the time runs out without dying.
- Venus Fly Traps - Crash will come across these monstrous plants regularly in the level. They will attack Crash by snapping their jaw towards his body. They will usually block the path that Crash is traveling on, meaning that Crash will have a hard time avoiding them. The safest way to defeat these vicious plants is by jumping towards them when they snap at Crash, then spin them away when they get near him.
- Piranhas - The Piranhas will attack Crash by jumping out of the water and snapping their jaw in midair. Crash can avoid these fish by ignoring them when they are inside of the water. However, he is able to defeat them if he times his jumps perfectly. Once the piranhas jump into midair, Crash must jump towards them and spin them away at the right time.
- Water Mines - During the jet-boat areas of the level, Crash will come across mines floating in the water. The mines act as obstacles that Crash must avoid while steering the boat. The mines can either be stay immobile or will glide across the water. If Crash crashes into a mine without carrying an Aku Aku mask, his boat will explode and cause him to lose a life.
- Whirlpools - In the jet-boat areas of the level, Crash will come across few whirlpools in the water. If he drives his boat into the middle of one, they will cause him to be sucked into the vortexes and cause him to lose a life. Crash can speed through the whirlpools with the jet-boats when he is near them.
- The level name is a pun on the surfer dude saying "Hang 10".