|First Appearance||Crash Bandicoot (1996)|
|Affiliation(s)|| Doctor Neo Cortex (1996) |
Doctor Nitrus Brio (1997)
None (subsequent appearances)
|Latest Appearance||Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 (2010)|
|Portrayed by|| Dallas McKennon (Archival Recording) (English, 1996 - 1999)|
Jeff Glen Bennett (Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2)
Katsumi Suzuki (Japanese, 1999)
“You are crazier than me! Have a key. Good luck, you'll need it!”
— Ripper Roo, Crash Team Racing
Ripper Roo (Japanese: リパールー/Ripārū) (also known as Doctor Roo) is an insane mutated kangaroo, though his head and face could closely resemble a dog. He is often viewed upon as Dr. Cortex's first and failed experiment with the Evolvo Ray. He frequently uses explosive crates when battling Crash. This can be seen in Crash Bandicoot 2 where he lays TNTs and Nitro Crates with his tail, in Crash Team Racing where he drops TNTs, and in his appearance in Crash Bash where he will randomly lay TNT crates on random tiles. He also has razor sharp toe nails as stated in the Crash 1 instruction booklet. In Crash Team Racing he has a course named after him, called Roo's Tubes. His laughing noise was provided by the late Dal McKennon but however Dal's laugh noise was recorded.
In the original Crash Bandicoot game, Ripper Roo was one of the many animal test subjects of Dr. Neo Cortex. After being captured, he was zapped at least twice by Cortex's Evolvo-Ray a creation of Nitrus Brio, which caused him to go insane. He was sent out to destroy Crash, but unfortunately for him, Crash used the Big TNT crates that were floating by to blow him up.
In the alternate ending to the original game, it's revealed that after Cortex disappears, Ripper Roo undergoes intense therapy and eight years of higher education, after which he writes a well-received book: Through the Eyes of the Vortex: A Study of Rapid Evolution and Its Consequences. This is probably the reason for "Doctor" Roo's change in character between the first and second game.
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes BackEdit
After going through college, becoming his former genius self, and building a library, Ripper Roo reappeared in Cortex Strikes Back. This time, he's working for N Brio, and is known as "Doctor Roo", mostly because of his uniform: a bowtie, glasses, a mustache, a cane, and a top hat.. He apparently went to college to become a psychologist. He also turned his home into a library. However, it's revealed that one explosion is enough to return him to his former, dangerous self. Once again, however, he fails to stop Crash. Right before the battle starts, when he is seen reading books, the top book on the stack has the word "Crash" on the spine. When battling him, he hops around on his cane, turning regular squares into TNT squares. When the first square explodes, the rest lead straight to Ripper Roo, turning him insane again and revealing a blond wig. This time he creates Nitro squares. For some reason, when he's done he hops on top of the last Nitro square, detonating the entire field and leaving himself stunned and vulnerable (And turning him into "Doctor Roo" once more, and the whole method goes over again until he's defeated). Under his top hat is shown hair the same color of his mustache.
Ripper Roo made another appearance in CTR as a race boss and an unlockable character. His home track is Roo's Tubes. When racing him, he is constantly dropping TNTs onto the track. After defeating him, he gives you the first of four keys needed to race Oxide.
Ripper Roo's kart in the game was orange and was enabled to handle tight corners with slightly lower speed than average karts, much like Polar and Pura. He can be unlocked by completing the Red Gem Cup in adventure mode. He can also be unlocked by holding the L1 and R1 buttons while pressing Right, , , Down, Up, Down and Right on the main menu.
In the CTR epilogue, he has been elected State Governor (much to everyone's surprise) with the slogan "Crazy is as Crazy does!" Rumor has it he's also running for President.
In this game, he made a cameo appearance in the third Pogo Pandemonium stage El Pogo-Loco in Crash Bash as his Doctor Roo look (But his regular, insane self), where he creates TNT, Nitro and 4-way tiles by hopping around on his cane.
Ripper Roo didn't return until Crash Twinsanity, where he made a brief cameo at Crash's "Birthday Party". After Cortex and the Mecha Bandicoot are defeated, he nods in agreement with Dingodile's suggestion to go out for lunch.
As with most other characters, Ripper Roo's appearance drastically changes in Twinsanity. His fur becomes slightly darker, and his eyes have lost the swirly effect in favor of red circles which constantly move to the center. His eyebrows are spiky and he lacks any teeth, as well as a different nose and a shorter tongue. In this way, he can resemble Pinky from Animaniacs. He is silent in this game, like all the other party guests. Before the Cortex boss fight, he hops up to the camera twice.
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3DEdit
Ripper Roo appeared in Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D as a playable character on team Oxide. He has a different look: he looks more like a kangaroo and wears boxing gloves instead of a straightjacket. He looks nothing like his original design.
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2Edit
Roo appeared again in Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 as an unlockable character. He went back to his CTR look, but wears his Dr. Roo top hat. He does his trademark laugh when he hits another racer with a weapon.
Ripper Roo is famous for his insane psychopathic, and somewhat dangerous, behavior. It's not safe to say, however, that he'll always be this way. In fact, in Cortex Strikes Back, he spent a year to become a Psychologist, proof that he was still civilized in some way. Another hint of his sane characteristic is that he wrote books, such as "Through the Eyes of the Vortex" which was well received. However, an explosion is enough to return him to his usual self. He is unique as the only speech he is capable of is insane laughter. In CTR, luckily for the player subtitles are used while he is "speaking".
Ripper Roo appears in Dansu! De Jump! Na Daibouken Volume 1 where he is a docotor studying his researches. When Crash and Aku Aku arrive at his house, he becomes obsessed with snatching the Power Stone from them and asks them to do some choirs in return for some food and shelter. Unfortunately, Crash flattens his books and broken his research and Ripper was accidentally goes crazy by bouncing around on his cane demanding them to hand over the Power Stone. After a brief battle with Crash, a chandelier drops onto Ripper's head knocking him out before his snatches the Stone from the exhausted Crash. He soon turned back his normal and decides to make them some food for Crash, but it turns out the food is not what Crash had in mind. His design is based off of his Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back look, and wears a long sleeved shirt instead of a straight jacket. He speaks perfect English and acts as a normal citizen with no relations of Dr. Cortex or Brio creating him.
- Although Ripper Roo's 2D/3D artwork from Crash Bandicoot depicted him as having his eyes colored yellow with red spirals, in Crash Bandicoot and Crash 2 he had normal eyes instead of the former, even when insane. The same was true for his hit point pictures, and was corrected in CTR.
- In CTR, Ripper Roo was still in his straitjacket, so he couldn't drive with his hands. Instead, his left foot was used to steer the wheel, while his right foot worked the gas pedal, therefore he is the only racer to drive with only his feet.
- Ripper Roo's theme in the first game is the shortest theme.
- Ripper Roo was originally going to speak normal English like most of the characters in CTR, but this was later dropped and he still used his insane laughter but with subtitles. A video at Youtube has what he would say.
- In CTR, Ripper Roo is the only race boss that does not brag or warn about Oxide before and after his defeat, respectively, except in his normal English.
- His voice is an archive recording of Dallas McKennon doing the laughter of the hyena from Lady and the Tramp.
- He is often associated with TNT crates, possibly because it was his first boss weakness.
- Ripper Roo is one of five racers NOT to reappear as racers in Crash Nitro Kart, the other four being Komodo Joe, Papu Papu, Penta Penguin, and Pinstripe.
- Ripper Roo's boss battle was one of the Crash 2 bosses reference in the Oblongs episode "Father of The Bribe", The Animal Control Guy drops some shaved cats is a bit similar to how Roo's pogo cane makes TNT Crates.
- The background music of Ripper Roo's fight in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back was a remake of his original theme song.
- Ripper Roo is also a boss in a homemade online Crash Bandicoot game where he would throw Nitro and TNT then a stone crate that can be spun back.
- He has a doctorate in political science.
- He is the only CTR boss who isn't affected by the language glitch since he only laughs.
- Ripper Roo has been known (ironically) to laugh uncontrollably when he gets hurt.
- Ripper Roo has never been fully allied with Cortex (except in Crash Bandicoot) but he still appears at Crash's birthday party in Twinsanity.
- Ripper Roo has appeared in every Crash game on the PlayStation except Warped.
- He is the first boss in Crash 2 and Crash Team Racing.
- In Crash 2, Ripper Roo is Doctor Roo, as in CTR, it mentioned that Ripper Roo became the State Governor in the epilogue, so the events of CTR must have been after Crash 2, but characters from Crash 3 were already in it.
- Ripper Roo's epilogue in Crash Bandicoot makes no chronological sense. It states how Roo went through intence therapy and eight years of education, however, he appears once again in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back as the first boss in the game. Roo appears to now have some sense from his therapy and education, but Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back takes place only one year after the first Crash Bandicoot.
- The secret ending in Crash Bandicoot is non-canon, but Ripper Roo appears in Crash 2 in his own office with a bunch of books, presumably about psychology, which means Roo's Crash Bandicoot epilogue is somewhat canon, somewhat not.
- Ripper Roo is one of the two kangaroo characters that has been mutated by the Evolvo-Ray. The other is Rilla Roo.
- Ripper Roo is one of 2 characters to feature in Crash Bandicoot and Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, and not to feature in Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped. The other one is Doctor Nitrus Brio.
- In Crash 2, a book near Ripper Roo's bookshelf reads "CRASH"
|Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot • Aku Aku • Coco Bandicoot • Doctor Nitrus Brio • Polar|
|Bosses||Ripper Roo • Komodo Brothers • Tiny Tiger • Doctor N. Gin • Doctor Neo Cortex|
|Items||Crates (Basic Crate, ? Crate, Bounce Crate, Aku Aku Crate, Checkpoint Crate, Crash Crate, Arrow Crate, Locked Crate, TNT Crate, Nitro Crate, Nitro Switch Crate, ! Crate, Iron Crate, Iron Arrow Crate) • Wumpa Fruit • Crystal • Gem|
|Levels||First Warp Room (Turtle Woods, Snow Go, Hang Eight, The Pits, Crash Dash) • Second Warp Room (Snow Biz, Air Crash, Bear It, Crash Crush, The Eel Deal) • Third Warp Room (Plant Food, Sewer or Later, Bear Down, Road to Ruin, Unbearable) • Fourth Warp Room (Hangin' Out, Diggin' It, Cold Hard Crash, Ruination, Bee-Having) • Fifth Warp Room (Piston It Away, Rock It, Night Fight, Pack Attack, Spaced Out) • Sixth Warp Room (Totally Bear, Totally Fly)|
|Enemies||Armadillo • Bees • Bird • Scrubbing Bubbletrons • Electric Eel • Four-Legged Robot • Gorilla • Holo-Projector • Lab Assistant • Lizard • Monkey • Orca • Penguin • Piranha • Polar Bear • Porcupine • Rat • Seal • Sparky Tentaclebot Unit • Spike Lizard • Spike Rat • Spiked Saucers • Spitter Plants • Tiki • Turtle • Venus Fly Trap|
|Crash Bandicoot Racing Series Playable Characters|
|Crash Team Racing||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Doctor Neo Cortex | Fake Crash | Komodo Joe | Nitros Oxide | Papu Papu | Penta Penguin | Don Pinstripelli Potorotti | Polar | Pura | Ripper Roo | Tiny Tiger|
|Crash Nitro Kart||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Dingodile | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Nefarious Tropy | Doctor Neo Cortex | Emperor Velo | Fake Crash | Geary | Krunk | Nash | N. Trance | Nitros Oxide | Norm | Polar | Pura | Velo | Spyro the Dragon | Tiny Tiger | Zam | Zem|
|Crash Tag Team Racing||Coco Bandicoot | Crash Bandicoot | Crunch Bandicoot | Doctor N. Gin | Doctor Neo Cortex | Ebenezer Von Clutch | Nina Cortex | Pasadena O'Possum|
|Protagonists||Crash Bandicoot - Doctor Neo Cortex - Aku Aku - Nina Cortex|
|Minor Characters||Nitros Oxide - Polar - Crunch Bandicoot - Doctor N. Gin - Doctor Nitrus Brio - Doctor Nefarious Tropy - Ripper Roo - Tiny Tiger - Farmer Ernest - Evil Crash - Pinstripe Potoroo - Koala Kong - Papu Papu - Rusty Walrus - Cortex's mother - Spyro the Dragon - Mecha-Bandicoot - Coco Bandicoot (Removed) Evil Coco - Good Cortex - Capu Capu - Evil Capu Capu - Fake Crash - Komodo Brothers - Ant Leader|
|Bosses||Doctor Neo Cortex - Mecha-Bandicoot - Tikimon - Uka Uka - Doctor N. Gin - Doctor Nefarious Tropy - Doctor Nitrus Brio - Dingodile - Madame Amberly - Evil Twins|
|Items||Crates (Crash Crate - Bounce Crate - Basic Crate - ? Crate - Locked Crate - Iron Crate - Iron Arrow Crate - Arrow Crate - Ammo Crate - Nitro Switch Crate - Nitro Crate - TNT Crate - Checkpoint Crate - World Crate - Aku Aku Crate - Detonator Crate - Activation Crate - Outline Crate) - Wumpa Fruit - Crystal - Gem - Weak platforms - Sequence platforms|
|Levels||N. Sanity Island (Jungle Bungle - Cavern Catastrophe - Totem Hokum) - Iceberg Lab (Ice Climb - Slip Slide Icecapades - High Seas Hi-Jinks) - Academy of Evil (Boiler Room Doom - Classroom Chaos - Rooftop Rampage) - Twinsanity Island (Rockslide Rumble - Bandicoot Pursuit - Ant Agony) - Deleted (Gone a Bit Coco - Ocean Commotion - Meglomaniac Mind Mania - Harbor level - Uka Tree level - Lava Caves - Rehab Lab - Security Insanity - Rollerbrawl level - Coco sub level)|
|Enemies||Crab - Fish - Chicken - Monkey - Skunk - Venus Fly Trap - Worm - Ant - Rat - Bees - Bear - Tribesman - Hog - Bat - Penguin - Hologram Probe - Barrel Throwing Rhino - Guard Dog - Robot Dummy - Robotic Janitor - Experimental Frog - Beetle (Removed) - Flying Swordfish - Greyscale Ant|