|Number of crates||26|
|Previous level||Generator Room|
|Next level||Pinstripe Potoroo|
Bad news: We are in Pinstripe's power plant, and his henchmen don't let you pass easily!
- Level description
Toxic Waste (ドラムかん ステップ lit. Drumcan Step in Japanese) is the twenty-first level (including boss fights) and is the fourth level of the third island in the original Crash Bandicoot game. As the name suggests, it is full of toxic waste and is the only type of level to take use a lot of it. Pinstripe's minions throw barrels of toxic waste to stop Crash. Some barrels just roll while others bounce. It is considered to be one of the hardest levels in the game. The blue gem is obtained here for breaking every crate.
Types of crates
- Aku Aku Crate
- Arrow Crate - wooden
- Basic Crate
- Bounce Crate
- Checkpoint Crate
- Crash Crate
- Iron Crate
- ? Crate
- TNT Crate
- Aku Aku Crates: 1
- TNT Crates: 3
- Other Crates: 22
- Tawna Bonus Round Crates: 13
- Brio Bonus Round Crates: None.
- Cortex Bonus Round Crates: None.
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- From ancient times, jumping drumcans in games is interesting. Is it difficult? Advance with your feeling. If the hopping ones make you feel bitter, it's good to try dodging to the sides.
- If you pass from here, you'll enter Pinstripe's room. When this guy is firing his gun, he is invincible, so hide patiently anyway. When he is replacing bullets, it's timing chance.
- It is possible that this level is a parody of the video game Donkey Kong since it involves Crash jumping over barrels.
- The barrels thrown in the level make an appearance on a Crash Team Racing track called "N. Gin Labs".
- Similar barrels also appear in the sewer levels of Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back.