Turtle Woods (あめの ジャングル lit. Rainy Jungle in Japanese) is the first level of the first warp room in Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. It is set in the rainy woods on N. Sanity Island. While on the surface it appears to be nothing more than a basic introductory level, clever players will find several intriguing secrets along the way. The first bonus round of Crash Bandicoot 2 appears here, under a breakaway floor. Earlier in the level, a stone face appears on the ground. Belly flopping this face will reveal another secret area that introduces Crash to the brand new nitro crates and nitro switch crate, and requires several tricky jumps from over sized ostriches to fully complete. The blue gem is also found in this stage, counter-intuitively requiring the player to clear the stage without breaking any crates to obtain.
Types of crates
- Aku Aku Crate
- Arrow Crate - wooden (secret area only)
- Basic Crate
- Bounce Crate
- Checkpoint Crate
- Nitro Crate (secret area only)
- Nitro Switch Crate (secret area only)
- ? Crate
- Time Crate (1/2/3 seconds)
- Aku Aku Crates: 2
- TNT Crates: None
- Nitro Crates: 6
- Other Crates: 54 (5 crates in bonus)
|Enemy Picture||Enemy Description|
|*Armadillo- These seemingly harmless creatures will move from side to side. Crash can defeat them with any attack move.|
|*Spiked Turtle- They will move from side to side, blocking Crash's path. They can only be defeated by jumping on top of them. That will leave them vulnerable, and Crash can jump on it like a trampoline, spin it away, or body slam it.|
|*Vulture- These cybernetic birds will swoop down at Crash if he gets too close. He can defeat them by jumping on them as they approach him. They only appear in the secret route of the level.|
|*Rats-They will appear in the pits Crash jumps into, and they travel in packs. When Crash defeats one, another will appear. When all rats of a pit are defeated, a mushroom will appear that Crash can jump on.|
Translation of Aku Aku Hints in the Japanese Version
- Spiked Turtles have spikes on their sides, jump to stomp on them.
- If you feel my voice disturbing, block your ears with the green triangle button.
- Press crouch, then jump, to high jump.
- Spin the armadillos to defeat them more and more.
- Note that you don't get the Aku Aku hint if the mask gives you invincibility.
- Also note that the location of Aku Aku hints, that either aren't level specific (in this stage the 2nd and 3rd hints) or inform about a secret of a previous level, can vary, mostly depending on the order you play the levels and the number of times you die.
- Originally, this level contained the red gem, but that was switched with Snow Go.
- Also, there were going to be armored armadillos in the secret route. One was placed straight after the ostriches, next to a since-removed TNT crate.
- It's possible to fall back into the bonus round after completing it thus trapping the player inside it by jumping on the edges of the hole. The only way to fix it is by making Crash fall into one of the pits so he transported back to the main path. This glitch requires high precision. Also, during emulation doing this glitch will cause every movement-button mapped to make you crouch and walk in the direction you pressed (or both at the same time).
- If a player has the box gem but not the blue gem, the box counter will say that zero boxes have to be broken, giving a hint on the blue gem.
- It is possible to skip the rat pits by jumping on the area next to it then jumping to the next part of the level. This glitch was removed in Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, where the rat pits can only be skipped via a slide-spin-jump combination.
- In the beta version of Crash 2, it is possible to jump over the wall of crates in this level without touching the bounce crate.